Pages

12 August 2010

Yerba Mate

I was working on a biology paper this afternoon (at times it seems that that is all that I do anymore) and Kyle came home from having coffee with his friend/fellow Sunday School Teacher.  He walked into the house, greeted lovingly by Chance, Genevieve, and Nelson, and stopped behind the half-wall that divides the kitchen/eating area from the family room.

"I have an early apartment warming gift for you," he said, and further explained that it was also a gift because he noticed that I've been working very hard on these biology papers and he thought I might need some relaxation.
I closed my eyes and held out my hands, as instructed, and when I opened my eyes I saw that he had gotten me a traditional Yerba Mate Gourd and Bambilla.  The drinking of Yerba Mate is a common social practice in Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, eastern Bolivia, and southern and western Brazil.  It's kind of supposed to be a miracle drink.  Sign me up!  Anyway, in some of its countries of origin it is consumed more than coffee in a ratio of 7:1.

I had my first try at it this afternoon.  I had about 3 or 4 gourds full.  Don't remember exactly how many it was...I was writing biology papers (shocker).  Let me tell you what...it has an INTENSE taste!  It was almost kind of overwhelming.  I'm thinking it's kind of an acquired taste.  But that's said about beer too and I've been able to acquire a taste for that just fine.

We're talking energy, antioxidants, blah, blah, blah...(those are reverent "blahs" not negating "blahs")...but it also...are you ready for this?

Get ready?

It kinda saves the friggin rain forests (which, due to my millions of biology papers, I know is very important to do) and by extension the friggin world!

And on top of that.  I'm kind of in love with the people at this company.  Check out this vid.


So...I'm looking at trying to make a conscious life change, here.  Those of you who know me know that I kind of do that all the time...but oh well.  Anyway, I'm trying this whole Yerba Mate thing out.  I think it could be great.  I was reading the pamphlet that came with it and it was telling me about the cultural gourd drinking ceremony...it's done among family and friends...loved ones.  

I said to Kyle "It sounds just like smoking Hookah." 
He said "...well yeah, or a peace pipe."
"Except drinking tea is better for you than smoking."
"Well yeah, Lauren...most things are actually."

You're welcome to those of you who were afraid of going through your day without a dose of Kyle's wisdom.

Peace out, Stay Classy!
Lauren Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. I'm a huge fan of yerba mate! We drink it in class on fiesta days.

    Sister

    ReplyDelete