Pages

30 January 2011

An IPA Poem for Kristen

I am in Voice for the Actor 3 with Diane Timmerman right now.  I am so beyond glad for this, because it's been a while since I've had a performance class with Diane (my favorite) and this semester I have two.

(Okay, speaking of Diane, she's the one shooting at Gene Hackman with a machine gun in this clip.  Yeah...you heard me right.)



Anyway, first what we're doing is learning the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA).  Then we will use that knowledge that we have acquired in order to master the art of dialects.  My first dialect will be Received Pronunciation (or RP), which is basically proper English.  My second dialect will be Irish.  Then I shall have a third, but I don't know what that one will be yet.

Anyway, in this class, as we are learning our phonemes, we are going through a workbook called Bringing Speech to Life: A Companion Workbook to Louis Colaianni's The Joy of Phonetics and Accents.

This evening, on page 30, I was prompted to:

"Write a short poem using / I / and / i / words."

And so I did.

Ahem...

My  sw/ i /t  b/ I /g  s/ I /ster  and m/ i  /
Ch/ I /t-chat  when  w/ i /  are  fr/ i /
G/ I /v/ I /ng  advice v/ i /a  the  phone
Skype  dates  't/ I /l  w/ i /  don't  f/ i /l  alone
I've  got  Sw/ i /t  S/ I /ster's back
And sh/ i /'s got m/ i /.

Maybe not the most brilliant thing ever written, but it's a step up from my sentence that I wrote on page 29 that had to contain four or five words with / i /:

"One must eat one's peas or one's brain cells will freeze, so pass them to me, if you please."

(Too tired to put that last one in IPA.)

Speaking of being tired...I have Voice with Diane in the morning...at 9:00 AM...which means I have to get up at 6:00 AM to take care of Genevieve...which means I'm wrapping this blog up and going to bed.

Peace Guys,
Stay Classy,
LT

P.S.  I love you, Sis.

1 comment:

  1. Love you, too, lady. Thanks for writing for me when I bug you about the lack of new blogs to read. haha

    ReplyDelete