Pages

16 March 2010

Well...here we go.

This past week has been spent in a vacuum of love and support, which is great.  Sometimes it's just wonderful to be able to go back to that pocket of the universe where it seems that no matter what you do, everyone is just perennially proud of you...where all of your ideas are fresh and new...where it almost feels like you can do no wrong, just so long as you stay true to yourself.

For me, that place is my home.  Bristol, Indiana.  Home to the spectacularly amazing (while my opinion is biased it is also 400% correct) Elkhart Civic Theatre!  It was hard to leave my home theatre, my farm, and my entire town behind.  It always is.  But it is here in Indianapolis where I can do wrong...and in fact, I've actually mastered the art of wrongness...and it is here where I need to be so that I can learn from my mistakes.

Soon, more of my design work with be scrutinized, as it rightfully should be, and part of me looks forward to it, as that's why I'm here.  At the same time, it's just a weird transition to go back and forth between just being happy with sheer existence on a llama farm in a two stoplight town and striving to always be a bit better than I think I can be and go a bit farther than I think I can.  Today (Tuesday) I return, after a long hiatus due to sickness and then spring break, to my design class with Bernardo.  I'm learning so much about myself in this course and in the process of designing Woyzeck with Bernardo and the other students in the class.

Emotional endurance and depletion.

I've dealt with that numerous times in acting...but never before did I know that it resided in the realm of design.  That's not to discount the realm of design (I LOVE DESIGN), it's just that I seriously had no idea.

Tomorrow (Wednesday...which the astute reader may have surmised from the "Today (Tuesday)" above) I will be presenting my design for A Midsummer Night's Dream.  Unlike Woyzeck, this set is not actually being built, at least not now, who knows billions of years down the road, right?  Still...even without that element...a lot of hard work and thought has gone into this.  (Pictures soon.)

It's 3:36 am.  I've not been able to sleep yet, but golly I refuse to stop trying!

G'night.
LT

No comments:

Post a Comment